Gap Insurance – Are you covered?

September is one of the busiest months of the year for the UK motor industry with the launch of the new registration plate

Jackson Lee* has advised that in September 2016, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, 469,696 new cars were registered.  Similar numbers are expected this year with around 80% of new cars being purchased on finance.

What is GAP insurance and why do I need it??

If your vehicle is stolen or written off due to an accident it is likely that your motor insurer will only pay the current market value for your vehicle.  This amount could be less than what you originally paid for your vehicle or even less than what you still owe on finance.  With 70% of consumers leasing and financing vehicles this is a financial risk many consumers face.  Universal GAP insurance is designed to protect you against this financial shortfall.

My motor insurance policy offers a new replacement vehicle whilst in its first year of registration. You may not be eligible for a new replacement vehicle if:

  • Your vehicle is pre-registered, i.e. new to you but has already been registered to the dealer to reduce VAT
  • Your vehicle has exceeded a certain mileage
  • You are not the owner/registered keeper of the vehicle. Consider lease agreements.
  • If current production is no longer available. Often insurers will then revert to the market value which will be significantly lower than their obligation under replacement vehicle cover.

Why should I buy GAP cover from a broker?

  • You are charged 12% insurance premium tax (IPT) opposed to 20% through a motor dealer
  • No need to cancel your GAP policy if you change your vehicle and you can change your vehicle as many times as you wish
  • In the event of a claim, Jackson Lee will assist you with verifying the value of your motor insurers claim settlement
  • No more paying for cover you don’t use. The product is annually renewable should you choose, eradicating the need to pay a lump sum upfront for a 3 year policy and runs in line with your current motor insurance
  • You are covered no matter how and when the vehicle is purchased. Motor dealers will only sell GAP at the point of sale and customers generally cannot return several months later to purchase GAP.
  • You are covered for the £250 excess in the event of a fault claim
  • Competitive pricing across all car makes, models and derivatives – available for new or used vehicles.
  • Just 3 policy exclusions and only 2 ½ pages of policy wording

You can now purchase GAP insurance for your vehicles from us at Bruce Stevenson.  Please contact your account handler or call us on 0131 553 2293 | email [email protected].

Underwritten by Jackson Lee Underwriting who have been accredited as the BIBA Approved Scheme provider for GAP since 2012.


Insuring your Home Renovations

Bruce Stevenson Insurance Brokers are experts at insuring your home and building works. As one of the largest independent insurance brokers in Scotland, we have a specialist knowledge in providing insurance solutions to homeowners who are undertaking high value renovation or extension works. We highlight to our clients why it is important that they should remain in control of the insurance arrangements for their home and the contract works and not rely on a contractor’s insurance to provide adequate cover.

Home insurers are often unable to accept the risk of insuring the home if it is undergoing works in excess of £50,000. The risk has materially changed and is now effectively a building site. This could leave your home uninsured if for example a fire breaks out unrelated to the building works. We work with homeowners, architects and project managers to deliver tailor made policies from flexible and specialist insurers. The product takes into account specific features of the existing structure of the home, its contents and the contract works. These include requirements set out by JCT contracts where applicable, under one ‘all risks’ policy.

Our clients’ homes are often their most valuable asset with rebuild values in excess of £1m and they have many things to think about when planning works. Insurance isn’t always at the top of the list. Our ability to advise how to effectively protect the existing structure and insure the contract works under one policy ensures no gaps in cover or grey areas. This allows a cleaner, simpler claims process should

it occur. Whether the property is listed, a home of heritage status, a country or townhouse, we work with specialist insurers flexible enough to offer competitive and comprehensive cover.

Complex risks

Heritage and period properties can present the most challenging circumstances, often with high rebuild values. We have placed insurance for private homes in Scotland with rebuild figures in excess of £20m which are having millions of pounds spent on renovation.

New products on the market 

Today, many homeowners buy a home that they then wish to extensively re-modernise, added to which many homeowners would rather ‘improve’ than ‘move’. We have access to insurers who unlike most, are able to continue to insure a client’s buildings, contents and liabilities within their home policy and combine with this the building works on an all risks basis up to a contract value of £5m and beyond if required.

For further information, please contact Alexandra Richards – 07464 545648 or [email protected]