Santa won’t be arriving for another few days and when he does arrive he’ll be coming down the chimney. Each year levels of criminal activity peak at Christmas time. It is a time of giving and receiving, but more importantly a time which thieves thrive on. Here are our top tips for having a safe and secure Christmas.
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house. Even if you’re just popping out to the shops!
- Hide all keys out of sight and remove any valuables from view of ground floor windows.
- Install a burglar alarm in a visible place. This will deter thieves as security measures have obviously been put in place.
- Install good outside lighting. Many outside lights are designed to come on when movement is detected and additionally can be programmed to turn on and off at set times.
- Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property.
- Leave lights in your house on a timer as this will make the property appear occupied.
- Secure bikes by locking them to an immoveable object inside a locked shed or garage.
Another option which you may wish to consider is joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme. These schemes aspire to bring neighbours together to create a friendly and safe environment, in order to try and reduce criminal activity within the area. You can find out more information about these communities on the Neighbourhood and Home Watch Network – https://www.ourwatch.org.uk/
It’s important to check that you’ve got sufficient cover for your home and contents. If you would like to discuss your contents insurance or you would like to obtain a quote, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us by calling 0131 553 2293 2293.