Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales have been and gone. However there are still an abundance of online competitions and time is ticking to finish off Christmas shopping. We realise it’s a busy time of year, however it’s important to remember to remain vigilant online. Before shopping online, consider the following;
- Does the website you are visiting seem genuine? If not, steer clear and find alternative sites to purchase from.
- Does the website have a secure URL? It’s important to check the site is secure before sharing any personal information. If not, you could fall victim to online fraud. Make sure the URL has https: preceding the web address.
- Does the website URL and page title match the company name? If not, check they are at least similar to it. It may be the case that fraudsters have created a fake website which appears to be similar to that of the real one you looking for. Check for bad spelling and grammar, if you find several or an abnormal amount of errors, it’s likely the site is unsafe.
- Have you received emails offering deals which seem too good to be true? If so, it probably is too good to be true. To verify the offering, visit the company’s website where deals and other offers will be advertised.
For further information about Cyber Crime or if you think you have been a victim of cyber crime, visit the Victim Support website – https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/crime-info/types-crime/cyber-crime
Check out our favourite recipe for Eggnog
Ingredients – Serves 8
- 3 cups (700ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy or double cream
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2/3 (130g) cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175ml) Bacardi Dark Rum, or bourbon
In a saucepan, combine milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla bean, vanilla seeds, and nutmeg. Bring to the boil over a medium heat. Once boiling, remove from the heat and allow to steep.
In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar until combined and thick ribbons form when the whisk is lifted. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to mix until the mixture is combined and smooth. Add bourbon or rum, and stir. Refrigerate overnight or for up to 3 days.
Before serving, beat the egg whites in a large bowl or stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold into eggnog until combined. Serve and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.